Teaching Metaphor

Teaching Metaphor

My high school science teacher is the reason I chose to complete an biology undergrad degree. She taught me how fun science, particularly biology and chemistry, can be when you interact with the learning. Through dissections she taught me I can still explore while having patience to do the task carefully. Through chemical reactions she taught me to think critically about what the product would be. Through lectures and class discussions she taught me to be engaged in meaningful conversations with my peers.

This teacher was one of the most approachable teachers I have had. She welcomed everyone into her class, no matter where they came from or what their history was. I look to her kindness and mothering nature to model my presence as a teacher. Students came to her for help even if they weren’t taking her class. I saw her take time to listen to all students who came to her, never brushing anyone aside. She created packages and study tools for us to use before a big exam. She made sure everyone had an opportunity to learn in a way that was most beneficial to them and that is what made her such a memorable teacher. I learned so much in her class and was able to succeed on the test because she took the time to provide us with all the tools we could possibly need.

My teaching metaphor is a boat. I think as a teacher, students come into your class to go on some kind of adventure. Each day you take them someplace new; teaching them new things, exploring and learning together. At the end of the day, the students leave and get ready for their next adventure. A group of teachers is like a fleet of boats, you are stronger together, share resources, and communicate about the students you share.