Mrs. Johnston

Standard 4

Educators value the involvement and support of parents, guardians, families and communities in schools.

Throughout my 491 practicum experience, I have been in constant communication with parents of my students. With the advice of my coaching teacher, I have sent out a mark update to the parents/guardians of all my students once a week. This has been incredibly valuable to the parents, the students, and to myself. The students are aware that their parents are getting an update weekly which has encouraged them to hand assignments in in a timely manner which, in turn, helps me keep organized and on top of marking each week. The parents are grateful each week for these updates as it allows them to know exactly where their child stands in terms of a grade and how well they are keeping up with handing in assignments. The constant communication allows me to put more ownership back on the learners as the parents are aware of their child’s performance at all times. Weekly communications also allowed the parents or guardians of my students to feel more comfortable asking questions or reaching out to me with concerns. They know I am approachable and concerned with the success of their child.