Mrs. Johnston

Standard 6

Educators demonstrate a broad knowledge base and an understanding of areas they teach.

In all my practica I was constantly learning. I made sure to do research on all concepts I was teaching before I taught the material to the students. I wanted to come to each class prepared not only with the information required, but with additional information to add “fun facts” to the lesson or to be able to answer questions students may have about or related to the topic. My ability to demonstrate a broad knowledge base is helped by my desire to continually learn new things. During all my practicum experiences, I was also not afraid to let the students know when I didn’t know something. A big part about being able to demonstrate knowledge is to also to demonstrate how much there is to learn. By acknowledging in front of students that I do not know everything, but am willing and excited to learn, I am demonstrating an understanding of the vast amount of information that is out there. I want to show my students all there is to be learned and to get them excited about learning it. I want them to have the desire to go home and research more on their own to learn new and exciting things.